Thursday, October 30, 2008

Re -" treat "

Post Diwali I am still on my pre- planned vacation. Travelling to Delhi and then to Chennai and later to Hyderabad from where it all began, has been good till now. On one hand, Jhumpa Lahiri floors me everytime I read one of her books. Her Unaccustomed Earth is the best read I have ever read of most authors. On the other hand, a lot of air travel has had my head swirling.

Well, most of the times, it would be wrong to say that I was on vacation when at the in-laws. There were traditions to be followed, the sari-culture to be followed, guests to be greeted, food and gifts to be given and taken, so Diwali then seems to be a tiring experience.

Back home, as everyone would, I feel relaxed and at peace after such a long time, that I realize that I have been very homesick. Ironically, I do not crave to be with my 'other' half, quite ironically as was the case more than a year ago. Time flies, people change and situations change.

Overall, it has been a good retreat for me or should I say, a retreating of good food, being with Parents and family than anyone or anything else. But, one thought pushes itself through this writing and it is a quote by John Burroughs: - "I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."

8 comments:

dharmabum said...

everything changes, and to recognize and accept it is the simplest way to being at peace with ourselves and the world around us.

i was home, and i can understand the comfort you are talking about, though in my case, i also longed to get back - to my work, and solitary life :)

ESIH said...

Life and people change over very short period of time, and I have been one of them...but I am glad you had time for yourself away from the daily life..:). Hope you had an Awesome Diwali..and will be waiting for the photos..

Shini said...

@dharma,

Yes everything and everyone change with time... that's what keeps the world moving.. - "change"

Talking about getting back, I also long to get back now... :)

Shini said...

@sush

Agree with you...
Btw, did have a wonderful time and yeah, I will upload the pics sometime...

ESIH said...

Good to know :) ...

Gangadhar said...

...it would be wrong to say that I was on vacation when at the in-laws....
But i feel so relaxed whenever me at the in-laws. They feed me with all varieties of food items, allow me to play in-house games with near and dear over there and i do get lots and lots of sleep. haha..

But home is a great place as you felt at the end of your post. I sincerely feel vacation means to settle in home and have fun.

And i agree with dharma and Sush..life is like that.

Shini said...

@Gangadhar

Well, life is like that, but with the in-law thing you said, guys usually are pampered at their wife's home (incl my husband) whereas, the "bahu" no-matter-what-she-wants-or- earns, is presumed to be always alert,conscious,helpful & nice! Maybe there are people who will disagree, but nevertheless...

Karthik Sankar said...

I would like to get in touch with you regarding the SSN-CMU program.Can you please mail me to karthiksankar[dot]r[at]gmail[dot]com

Ideas, immigration and introspection

What is an idea worth really? For several centuries, and even the present one, it isn't worth a lot until put to execution. Years back, ...